Coping with Restless Days – The Work at Home Professional Style
Sleep deprivation is one of the biggest challenges faced by almost all work at home professionals. Serving clients from the other side of the world literally means working on their time zone. In the local setting, staying energetic until early morning may be easy, but getting enough sleep during the day to recharge might be a problem.
So, we’ve come to this point of overcoming what we can say is the greatest disadvantage of working at home – staying constantly awake at night during workdays.
That means a minimum of eight (8) hours a day, five days a week. To be able to do that, quality rest is a must. Below are some tips to help get the needed sleep during the day:
- Take vitamins – Scientifically speaking, working at night weakens the immune system. To cope with this, taking health supplements can be very beneficial.
- Off with the kids – For work at home moms, having their kids go in and out of their rooms is usual. It’s ok for them to do this but not every day. If you don’t feel like locking your room to make your kids unwelcome, talk to the nanny or your husband to take care of the kids and not let them in while you’re sleeping. Of course, explain to your kids that you need to rest or better yet make them sleep with you.
- Benefits of AC – Yes, it may be expensive but having an air conditioner installed in your room is a worthwhile investment, especially during summer. Since it’s already hard to get some sleep in broad daylight a little addition to comfort will not hurt at all.
- Power Nap – Some may not believe this, but taking powerful naps or short sleeps within the shift (of course this should be during your break or lunch time) is very effective to energize especially if you were not able to get more than five (5) hours of sleep during the day. Well, you just need to make sure that you set up an alarm and don’t oversleep!
- Adjust – From the previous article, working at home is about adjustments. It may not be easy, but the benefits of being at home with your kids and family will always be worth it if you learn how to deal with its limitations. (That’s aside from less traffic and other expenses).
- Love your job – Do I need to say more? “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life”. When you love what you do, your body will follow and cooperate with you. You don’t even need to make an effort. Just let it flow.
Enough sleep. We all need it. It’s just a matter of how we can get it. Individual body composition may vary from one to another, that’s why there are different ways to achieve it. It may be effective for one but not for the other. The thing is, you’ll know it’s working if you had a good day sleep.